This is a game. This is only a game. If using alcoholic beverages, do not drive. Do not
operate heavy machinery. Do not pass go. Do not collect $200.
Gather friends (if applicable) around TV set. Place drinks, alcoholic or not, within easy
reach. Watch "Friends," drinking when instructed to by the following rules. In
case of confusion over whether or not to drink, always err on the side of drinking. Enjoy
a great show!
Take a sip if...
- Rachel demonstrates her lack of understanding of the real world
- Monica anal-retentively cleans or straightens up (2 sips if it's not even her stuff)
- Phoebe says a "Phoebism"
- Ross gazes longingly at Rachel (2 sips if she notices)
- Joey doesn't understand something that should be perfectly obvious (2 sips if you didn't get it either)
- Chandler makes a deadpan smartass response to a stupid comment (2 sips if you predicted it ahead of time)
- any main character makes a sweeping generalization about the opposite sex
- anyone mentions or sees Ugly Naked Guy (2 sips if you're ugly, naked, or a guy)
- any of the main characters drinks any coffee product
- the exterior of Central Perk is shown
- the interior of Chandler's and Joey's apartment is shown
- any of the main characters' parents show up
- any of the main characters are shown at work (Rachel only counts if she is wearing her apron or holding a pot of coffee)
- any of the main characters hug (2 sips for a hug involving more than two main characters, or an exagerated hug between any of the guys)
- any of the main characters asks "What's wrong?" (2 sips if followed by "Nothing, it's just that...")
Take a gulp if...
- Rachel takes an order and/or brings a drink to someone (2 gulps if she does it right)
- Monica's mother puts down Monica's appearance/clothes/boyfriends
- Phoebe plays her guitar (2 gulps if she mentions her mother)
- Ross mentions his ex-wife and/or her lesbian lover
- Joey tries for an acting part (2 gulps if he gets it)
- Chandler makes a reference to an old TV show from your youth (2 gulps if you used to watch it)
- anyone looks directly into the camera and smiles/smirks
- anyone says the word "penis", or uses a euphimism for it
- anyone says the word "breast", or uses a euphimism for it
- any of the main characters drinks bottled water
- all six main characters hang out in Monica's and Rachel's apartment
- the hallway between Monica's and Chandler's apartment is shown
- the interior of Ross' apartment is shown
- any of the main characters kiss a non-main character
- Marcel the monkey shows up (2 gulps if he's not with Ross)
- any main character gets mad at another main character (drink everything in sight and lose faith in sit-com television if they don't make up by the end of the show)
Chug your entire drink if...
- Rachel kisses Ross, or vice versa
- Monica goes out with someone who's not a weirdo
- Phoebe makes an intelligent, sensible comment
- Ross professes his love to Rachel
- Joey offers good love-life advice to anyone
- Chandler drops his sarcastic, cynical facade
- any of the main characters drinks any alcoholic beverage
- all six main characters hang out in Chandler's and Joey's apartment
- the interior of Phoebe's domicile (apartment? house?) is shown
- any of the main characters sleeps with a non-main character
- there's a reference to any other NBC Thursday night TV show (chug 2 drinks if a main character from that show makes a guest appearance, in character)
- there's a reference to the Friends e-mailing list (chug 2 drinks if anyone from the list is mentioned by name; cheer wildly and drink everything in sight if that name is yours) [hey, it *could* happen, right? :-) ]
Drink everything in sight if...
- Rachel's ex-husband-to-be shows up
- Monica tells her mother to go to hell
- Phoebe and Ursula are seen together
- Ross kills Paolo
- Joey gets the lead role in a Broadway show
- Chandler goes out with Brian
- Ugly Naked Guy is shown
- any of the main characters sleeps with another main character (go to the store to get more to drink if it's Ross and Monica)
Game by Nelson Tang (firstname.lastname@example.org) with many suggestions from the Friends mailing list. Some specific rules/suggestions by Ross Smith (email@example.com).
Converted to HTML and last updated 1/2/96 by Andy J. Williams